Call for Artists: Commissioned Artwork in New York Housing Complex
Home Leasing and Trillium Health are collaborating to develop a four-story mixed-use and mixed- income building that will provide for a wide range of households. The project will consist of 72 housing units, first floor commercial space, and a community health facility to be operated by Trillium. The units will be available to households with a range of incomes, which will continue to help establish downtown Rochester as a diverse neighborhood. The development team is dedicated to creating an inclusive community providing amenities and access to downtown living to all members of the community in an LGBTQ+ welcoming environment. All partners are committed to supporting a significant work of public art on the location.
The project is located at the eastern gateway to downtown Rochester, NY between East Avenue and Broad Street, on the west side of Union Street on Site 3 of the Inner Loop East Redevelopment Project.
The artwork will be located in the building passthrough. Artists are encouraged to think expansively about the space, engaging with the wall, ceiling, and ground area. This public artwork is intended to be an iconic work that represents, welcomes, or supports the LGBTQ+ community in some way. The resulting commission should be bold, eye-catching, and thoughtful. The installation should be engaging day and night. Artists or teams may propose a painted mural – however, we especially encourage projects that use sculptural and permanently durable materials – and engage the walking/seating area in front of the wall. See drawings for more detail.
The selected artist(s) or team will have a comprehensive contract that will cover the artwork design and engineering, fabrication, materials, installation, insurance, travel, meetings with staff as necessary, and related incidental expenses.
Up to $45,000
This opportunity is open to professional artists or artist teams who meet the following criteria:
• Artists should have completed other public commissions of a similar scale.
• Artists must have a statewide or national reputation and experience.
• Artists must have success in translating innovative concepts into public artworks of significant size.
• Artists must demonstrate a high-level of creativity when engaging with public space, community involvement, and unique ways of approaching existing architecture and landscape.
• Artists should have experience in coordinating large-scale public art installations with a diverse team.
• Professional experience, quality and creativity of past work, community regard, resume, letter of interest and statement of approach
• Demonstrated ability to conceive, manage, and execute projects of a similar scale
Step 1: Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process to select up to four (4) finalist artist(s) or artist team(s) who will be invited to develop a full Proposal.
Step 2: Each artist finalist will be awarded a $1,000 stipend to develop and complete a concept plan to be presented to a diverse professional panel. Artists should be prepared to present their vision, how it relates to the goal of this commission, community engagement, materials used, and a budget outline.
Step 3: Winning artist selected.
How to Apply
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
Submit a single PDF that includes all of the following materials to email@example.com (DropBox or WeTransfer for the complete PDF is acceptable):
• Professional resume – teams should submit resumes for each member, if applicable
• Letter of Interest (suggested max length: 1 page)
• Statement of Approach (suggested max length: 1 page)
• Previous artworks – Please provide a minimum of six (6) and maximum of twenty (20) high resolution digital images of previous artworks that demonstrate your ability to complete a similar project. For each image, please provide title, dimensions, materials, date, location, and budget for the project.
Deadline for receiving qualifications: October 31, 2021 (11:59pm EST)
Finalists notified: November 30, 2021
Finalists present detailed proposals: February 2022
Final Artist Selected: March 2022
Artwork Installed: November 2022
Rochester Contemporary Art Center
137 East Ave.
Rochester, NY 14604
*Download high res floor plan with dimensions here: / Descargue el plano de planta de alta resolución con dimensiones aquí: