Call for Artists: Lucca Biennale Cartasia 2022 - Indoor Session
LUBICA – Lucca Biennale Cartasia is the biggest worldwide art event dedicated to Paper as an artistic
and architectural means. LuBiCa takes place every two years in Lucca, Tuscany. Founded in 2004, the
event is committed to promoting tradition, culture, sustainability and innovation in art and design,
and next year marks XI edition.
Due to COVID-19, the tenth edition was held in 2021 but in 2022, Lucca Biennale Cartasia will be held as
usual in even years.
This Call for Entries invites artists from around the world to express their vision by using paper and its
by-products. The goal of LuBiCa is to promote dialogue amongst the artists who choose to push their
limits by breaking away from their patterns and moulds and to help create new points of view.
The contest is open to professional and emerging artists. Its goal is to select works or performances
that involve the use of paper highlighting the original, bold, unique and innovative use of this material.
The Biennale will exhibit finalists’ works and host the performances.
“The White Page” is the theme of the XI edition.
What does a White Page represent?
On the one hand, a blank page represents the possibility of a different future, of a dream that can come true,
of an ambition, a different perspective and the possibility of an alternative to routine. A white page gives you
the feeling of being able to draw a new, different, and better world. Endless possibilities. On the other hand,
a white piece of paper can represent the anxiety of it all, the negative possibilities, the unexpected
implications and a leap into the unknown. The inability to act and the reality of being faced into an inevitable
change, from which – despite being afraid, one cannot escape.
A White Page is a bridge between the past and the future, an opportunity for free writing or the anguish of
the unknown, the courage of making a choice or the loss of a comfort zone.
How to Apply
• The primary requirement is the use of paper and its by-products.
• The call is open to all artists over 18.
• All art forms are allowed.
Each participant can apply with minimum 1 workpiece and maximum 20 pieces with the exclusion of:
– Video Art and/or Digital Graphics: this includes videos, films, animation works on any digital and
analogue support. Each participant may submit only 1 proposal;
– Performance: Each participant (be it a single artist or a group of artists) may submit only 1 proposal
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
In order to participate every artist must:
• fill in the registration form at the end of this document. Fill out form A for artwork or form B
for performance / Video Art.
• Pay the 20,00€ registration fee via:
– Wire transfer on Banco Popolare bank account 9 Muse srl:
iban: IT69C0503424742000000001881 / Swift: BAPPIT21S38
– Paypal payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Email or send:
– Signed registration form;
– Payment receipt;
– Additional material that best describes the proposal.
To email@example.com or to 9 Muse srl, Via di Tiglio 370 – 55100 Lucca, Italy.
By and no later than 11:59 pm on January 15th, 2022 (GMT +1). The sending date
will be checked against delivery.
* Use of WETRANSFER is recommended for attachments over 5 MB (www.wetransfer.com)