Call for Artists: Lucca Biennale Catasia 2022 - Outdoor Session
LUBICA – Lucca Biennale Cartasia is the biggest worldwide art event dedicated to Paper as an artistic
and architectural means. LuBiCa takes place every two years in Lucca, Tuscany. Founded in 2004, the
event is committed to promoting tradition, culture, sustainability and innovation in art and design,
and next year marks XI edition.
Due to COVID-19, the tenth edition was held in 2021 but in 2022, Lucca Biennale Cartasia will be held as
usual in even years.
This Call for Entries invites artists from around the world to express their vision by using paper and its
by-products. The goal of LuBiCa is to promote dialogue amongst the artists who choose to push their
limits by breaking away from their patterns and moulds and to help create new points of view
The contest is open to professional and emerging artists. Its goal is to select works of art that involve the
use of paper and its by-products highlighting the original, bold, unique and innovative use of this
material. The Biennale will exhibit finalists’ works in the main squares of Lucca, Tuscany, during the open
event (August-September 2022) and at the end of the event the artworks will continue to be exhibited
inside the historical wall ramparts, thus becoming part of the Biennale’s permanent collection.
“The White Page” is the theme of the XI edition.
What does a White Page represent?
On the one hand, a blank page represents the possibility of a different future, of a dream that can come true,
of an ambition, a different perspective and the possibility of an alternative to routine. A white page gives you
the feeling of being able to draw a new, different, and better world. Endless possibilities. On the other hand,
a white piece of paper can represent the anxiety of it all, the negative possibilities, the unexpected
implications and a leap into the unknown. The inability to act and the reality of being faced into an inevitable
change, from which – despite being afraid, one cannot escape.
A White Page is a bridge between the past and the future, an opportunity for free writing or the anguish of
the unknown, the courage of making a choice or the loss of a comfort zone.
How to Apply
• The primary requirement is the use of paper and its by-products.
• The call is open to all artists over 18.
• It is possible to participate as a single artist or a team of maximum two people.
• Each participant can apply with maximum of 2 workpieces (a form must be submitted for each artwork)
• Submissions must be sent no later than 31 October 2021 (11.59 pm GMT +1)
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
In order to participate every artist must:
• Pay the 20,00€ registration fee via:
– wire transfer on Banco Popolare bank account 9 Muse srl
iban: IT69C0503424742000000001881 / Swift: BAPPIT21S38
– Paypal payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Email or send:
– signed registration form,
– payment receipt,
– additional material that best describes the proposal (phase 1).
TO email@example.com* or TO 9 Muse srl, Via di Tiglio 370 – 55100 Lucca, Italia.
By and no later than 11:59 pm on 31 October 2021 (GMT +1). The sending date will
be checked against delivery.
* Use of WETRANSFER is recommended for attachments over 5 MB (www.wetransfer.com)