Solo Exhibition and Short Term Artist Residency
Open Call accepting applications now through July 15, 2021
Tiger Strikes Asteroid New York is excited to announce our 2021 open call for one solo exhibition, and one STAR (Short Term Artist in Residency) recipient.
The solo exhibition will run from January 7, 2022 to February 13, 2022. The exhibition will include a $300 budget and professional installation shots. Submissions will be reviewed by TSA NY members. We will prioritize underrepresented artists, works that uniquely activate the space, and works that are not viable in traditional commercial markets. The artist chosen for the solo exhibition will work closely with member curators at TSA NY to prepare for their show.
The STAR residency program will be held in the TSA NY gallery space, from December 10, 2021 to January 3, 2022. The resident artist will have access to a semi-private gallery space for the term of the residency. Time in the space can be used for production, rehearsal, or studio development. Please review our Instagram (@tsa_ny, #TSANYSTAR) for work done during past STAR residencies, for an idea of what can be accomplished in this space/time. The floor plan for our space can be found here: https://bit.ly/2ToPCHt
In the event that the physical gallery space has to close due to shutdowns during the run of the exhibition, the gallery is committed to working with the artist to ensure that their show is highly accessible by prominently and creatively featuring the work across all social media and connectivity platforms.
Your submission fee directly contributes to the operating expenses for this volunteer-run non-profit art organization. We thank you for your support.
Visit https://tigerstrikesasteroid.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/60961 to apply or click the button below.
- Open to professional working artists only. Currently enrolled students are not eligible to apply.
- Artwork included in the exhibition must be available to stay in the gallery for the duration of the exhibition.
- Submission fee is $20, non-refundable for up to 10 works.
- Up to 10 JPGs OR a combination of two MP4s and up to 8 JPGs may be submitted. We will only review up to 2 video clips so please do not submit more than that.
- All submissions must be in by 11:59pm EDT on July 15, 2021 for consideration.
- The selected artist will be notified in early September 2021.
- Each JPG must be no larger than 1040 pixels at the largest dimension.
- Video clips must be in MP4 format and no longer than 3 minutes in length.
- Files must be numbered and named following this naming convention: LastnameFirstname#.JPG for example SimpsonMarge01.JPG.
- Title, media, dimensions and year are required for all images.
- The artist’s full mailing address must be included in the submission – including city, state and country if outside the U.S.
- There is one optional question relating to applicant interest TSA NY STAR residency program.
- Check the FAQ section for answers to commonly asked questions.
Double-check your submission against the requirements before submitting. Submissions that do not meet the parameters will be disqualified.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions not addressed here or in the FAQ.
Q: Can international artists apply?
A: Yes, international artists are welcome to apply as long as they can ship to the gallery and ensure the work arrives in New York in time for the exhibition.
Q: Can I submit JPGs and videos?
A: Yes, but a maximum of 2 video clips are allowed.
Q: Can I submit multiple images to document one artwork?
A: Yes, but a maximum of ten JPGs may be submitted total.
Q: Can one video or JPG include multiple artworks?
A: Yes, only as documentation of an installation.
Q: Can I submit fewer than ten works?
A: Yes, submit the number of images or video clips that you feel properly documents your work.
Q: Can I submit a mockup of my work in the gallery for consideration?
A: Yes, but it counts as part of your 10 files.
Q: What is the consignment percentage breakdown between TSA NY and the artist?A: The artist receives 70% of the sale price, TSA receives 30%.
Q: How will the gallery adjust if my exhibition is affected by another New York City shutdown?
A: The gallery will heavily promote the exhibition via social media, video conferences and our website so that the exhibition can continue to be accessible even if the physical space is closed.
Q: Do I need to complete the demographic information included in the submission form?
A: Completing this is optional. It will remain confidential and is used internally to measure our goal of supporting a diverse group of artists.
Q: What if I cannot afford the application fee?
A: TSA offers a fee waiver. Please contact email@example.com to request a waiver.
Q: What does semi-private mean for the TSA STAR residency program?
A: The shared bathroom and slop sink for three artist studios and adjoining gallery are accessed through TSA NY’s space. Please plan your residency projects with an awareness that our neighbors will sometimes need to access these facilities.
Q: Where can I submit a question that isn’t answered here?
A: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Exhibition Opportunity, Opportunities, Prizes and Awards
Apply until 01/08/2021
Exhibition Opportunity, Opportunities
Apply until 31/07/2021
Call for Artists, Opportunities
Apply until 30/07/2021