Threads That Bind, the Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition’s national juried show BWAC (Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition) calls for submissions from artists working in traditional and/or contemporary approaches to fiber. Submissions must use fiber materials and/or processes (weaving, knitting, spinning, rug-making, embroidery, crochet, braiding, beading, needlepoint, cross-stitch, dyeing, sewing) as a primary component of the work. The final form of submitted artwork may be a sculpture, photograph, performance or video, wearable or decorative art or fashion, as well as an embroidered, woven, crocheted, dyed or knitted wall-hung or free-standing piece. We welcome large-scale work up to 96″ in any direction.
Call to Artists for Submissions Submission Deadline:
Final Application Deadline: August 15th,11:59 PM , EST
Gallery Exhibition Dates: Sunday, September 12– Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 weekends 1‐6 P.M. Opening Reception: Sunday, September 12, . 2021 from 1‐6 P.M
Qualifications & Requirements
Questions to ask yourself about your work when making a submission:
- How have you embraced fiber processes during our sustained period of forced social isolation?
- Does fiber making provide comfort, or do you use fiber processes to push against the boundaries of social constraints and/or civil and social unrest?
- What does fiber making in the 21st century mean to you, and why do you choose these processes and materials instead of or in addition to more “traditional” art-making media?
In addition to images of up to 3 artworks, please write 1-3 sentences answering one of the above 3 questions.
ELIGIBILITY: This call for submission is open to all residents of the U.S. and its Territories 18 years of age or older. This is a juried exhibition for artists working in all traditional and non‐traditional 2D and 3D media, including film/video when part of Installation. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution.
Note: Crafts, kit work or reproductions of original works in other media (such as giclee reproductions of oil paintings), unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
Oversize Work, Assemblages and Installations exceeding 72 X72, and Overweight work exceeding 30lbs, are welcome only at the discretion of BWAC staff, but must meet all other specifications and be delivered, installed and removed by the artist (or their agent) upon prior arrangement with BWAC. Any work not meeting these eligibility requirements can automatically be disqualified regardless of juror selection.
Any work hand-delivered or shipped that does not meet ready to hang requirements, is overweight or oversized is subject to rejection or additional charges agreed upon prior to acceptance.
JUDGING: All judging for the competition will be online. Entries that differ significantly from their digital images may be rejected. Decision of the judges is final. Prizes are decided in person, at the gallery.
How to Apply
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES: Only original works may be submitted.
Submission fee of $35 for up to three (3) images plus $5.00 for each additional image and due by Midnight AUGUST 15TH, 2021.
Sculpture and installations: artists may use two additional images for details, at no extra charge. Contact email@example.com if you need them. All entries must be registered/received by midnight, AUGUST 15TH . All entry fees are non‐refundable.
DIRECTIONS FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION:
- Click on https://client.smarterentry.com/BWAC
Follow the directions on the Site Login Page to create a new profile. You will need to create a new profile, unless you applied to BWAC’s juried shows or to another competition that licensed the Smarter Entry system after August 27, 2012 ‐ you then can just login). Your username is your email address.
- Click on Threads That Bind to register. (It’s under the heading AVAILABLE SHOWS). You will be taken to a secure site where you can pay your application fee.
- Once you have paid your application fee, you can upload your images. Submit your images as JPG, TIFF, or PNG files with the longest side being 1,280 pixels for best presentation. Your files can be up to 4MB.
Click on the Choose File button to browse for the file you want to upload. The actual file name is the image file title you see in a directory / folder. File names cannot have special characters as they present security risks or are not compatible with programming. When you browse your folder to select your file and then it inserts into the SmarterEntry system, you may see something like this: c:\my_harddrive\filename.jpg. The c:\my_harddrive\ is the computer’s path to the file. It can/will have special characters, and that is ok. It is only the filename.jpg part that cannot have special characters.
- Upload your image as directed. Please note that all fields marked with an asterisk are required. Selling price and year created will not be a factor in the juror’s selection. Use the Additional Notes box for information you would like the juror to consider, particularly explaining what material is “recycled”, if it’s not obvious. These notes may be used as part of the exhibition.
- Click Add Image to upload it to the show. While the image is uploading do not press the back button or otherwise interfere with the upload process. When the image appears below, it has been submitted to the competition. You will receive no additional confirmation of receipt. You may have to scroll down to see all images.
Repeat this process for all your images. You can click “Return to Account” on the left hand bar at any time, then return later to submit more images. You can delete and resubmit a new image at no additional cost. You can edit the information submitted up to the deadline. Please write down and keep for your files the sizes and prices of the submitted work. Once the final deadline has passed, you will no longer have access to this information.